Our student council is elected democratically through a process of husting and elections at the beginning of the academic year.
All student councillor nominees had to prepare for a live or filmed interview about their suitability for the post, what they could offer in their representation of their year group, how they would ensure all views of the year are clearly communicated and how they hoped to develop through a successful appointment. These interviews then take place in front of their full year of over 200 students, a daunting task even for adults, and are followed by elections. For each Year 7 to 10, the top three students who have exhibited the necessary skills to be strong leaders and representatives for student voice are appointed.
Roles and Responsbilities
Our current student council have been very active in their 7 months in post. The students have supported in a wide range of activities, key to ensuring that students views are sought and drawn upon in decisions relevant to their own experience of school. These include:
· Interviewing Vice Principal, Assistant Principal, Behaviour Mentor, Student Teachers, Subject Teachers and Pastoral staff.
· Meetings with our catering contractors to share student views on current menus and service resulting in changes to supply.
· Seeking student views on the transition out of Covid restrictions on social time.
· Working with our Co-Curricular lead to create new after-school clubs as desired by the student body.
· Talking in assemblies about fund raising to support Ukraine.
· Meeting with our Chair of Governors to discuss plans for the school and to talk about the role of a governor.
· Inviting in and managing a half day visit by our local MP Navendu Mishra, including facilitating a Q&A session about his plans for Stockport regeneration and employment plans.
· Being invited to tour the Houses of Commons with our MP in May 2022.
· Supporting with the arrangements for a huge street party in celebration of the Queen’s Jubilee.
This group of young people is articulate, enthusiastic, aspirational for themselves and others, shows great courage in challenging themselves to try new ventures and is an absolute asset to our school.