Since the opening of the Academy in September 2007, Stockport Academy has held Science Specialism status. This status is only awarded to educational establishments that are able to meet a strict set of criteria through the educational and enrichment opportunities that they offer their students.
Students at Stockport Academy have access to a wide and varied personalised curriculum as well as the opportunity to take part in a number of different enrichment activities and challenges.
As part of our Science Specialism status we are able to offer GCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics, the Separate Sciences programme and Double Award GCSE.
Stockport Academy has strong links with BBC Learning, Science Learning Centre North West, Manchester University, Manchester Metropolitan University and STEMNet.
Science at Stockport Academy
- Four weekly rotation on different themes including forensics, dissections, building rockets and explosions.
- Exploring engineering through the construction of different mechanical objects.
Stockport Academy Lectures
- Annual lecture with distinguished invited speakers from regional Universities;
- Previous lectures have included "The Search for Extra-Terrestrial Life", "Are Plants Intelligent?" and "The Use of Performance Enhancing Drugs in Sport".
- Students are able to interview professionals from different STEM careers;
- These events are highly personalised and invitations are given to students who have ambitions to work in the relevant area.
- Annual event in which Stockport Academy students and members of the wider public are able to observe the universe;
- Talks are delivered by local amateur Astronomers;
- Other activities on the evening have included build your own telescope and make your own constellation;
- The most recent event was supported by Manchester Astronomical Society as featured in the BBC Stargazing Live Series;
- Entertainment is provided and has included RockAHula.
Students are able to access a wide variety of extra-curricular activities in the form of out of school visits. These have included:
- Jodrell Bank Observatory;
- Stockport and Trafford Science Challenge Day;
- Manchester Metropolitan University Christmas Lectures;
- Manchester University exploring the laboratories;
- Manchester Museum;
- Chester Zoo;
Pursuing Science as a career
Through the Science Specialism and the opportunities that Stockport Academy students have been able to access we have seen a large number of our students progress to Higher Education. Our students have gone on to read the Sciences and programmes of study have included:
- Natural Sciences at Cambridge University;
- Biomedical Science at University of Leeds;
- Biology at The University of York;
- Foundation Physics at Aberystwyth University;
- Physiology at Manchester Metropolitan University;
- Psychology and Biology at Liverpool John Moores University;
- Occupational Therapy at York St John University;
- Biology and Business at Manchester Metropolitan University;
- Sports Rehabilitation at University of Hull;
- Adult Nursing at Edge Hill University.